Tips for Creating the Perfect Home Office Space
I have always had a place to work from in my home, but until the stay at home orders started being implemented thus requiring me to be home and be productive, I did not have a great home office.
Having the right home office space is essential for being productive as you work from home.
Here are a few tips for creating the perfect home office space:
- Choose a good location. You will likely spend a lot of time in your home office, especially during this pandemic when most Americans are working from home, so make sure you chose a location that is conducive to what you need to do. If you can help it, don’t choose a space that is too small or in a place where you will have lots of distractions (i.e. next to your child’s play room). If you like fresh air and natural light, consider a location near a window.
- Invest in a good chair. Style is nice but comfort is better. Be sure to invest is a comfortable ergonomically friendly chair. A proper chair will not only be comfortable while you are working but will also help prevent you from sitting in a way that can cause back and spinal issues later.
- Make Sure You Have the Right Technology. To be most efficient and productive while working from home, you need to have technology that enables you to get the work done. In my “old” home office, I had a desktop and a printer. That was it. As I started this time in quarantine and was required to do the majority of my work from home, I had to upgrade my technology so that I could be productive at home. I invested in an all-in-one printer/scanner/copier/fax machine. I also upgraded my modem to be able to download/upload the multiple page legal documents that I have to work with. Be sure to have a good quality webcam so you can look your best during your remote meetings.
- Design A Space That Inspires You. You need a space that motivates you to get work done. Having a special photo(s), cherished knickknacks and motivational quotes or affirmations can help create that kind of space. Be sure to have a picture of your “why” (partner, kids, favorite vacation spot – something that reminds you why you work the way you do).
- Create A Comfy Space. Your desk is for active work but having a space to think, read or brainstorm is important too. This can be as simple as some fluffy pillow and a throw in the corner or as elaborate as a chaise lounge with candles and something to play music.
Hopefully, this quarantine time will be over soon, but the need for a good home office transcends this current pandemic. Using this time to create a space that is useful and that you love, will go a long way to helping you with your professional goals.